July 21, 2009

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

Star rating: 8

This is a retelling of a Nordic fairy tale called East of the Sun, West of the Moon. Quite delightfully done I must say. The main character of the story is a girl with no name from a large family. Times are difficult but the girl's family does the best that they can despite the never-ending winter weather. Call it luck or call it fate, whatever it is, the girl's changes when she meets a white reindeer who gives her a beautiful name. The girl finds herself on a quest that will bring happiness back for her beloved brother and will lead her to her true love.

A few minor qualms(minor spoilers): Not all of the loose ends are tied up at the end. You never do find out what happened to all of the other princes that were taken by the troll princess. You also don't find out what happens to the three friendly aunties that help the girl on her quest. Though these are not essential elements to the plot, one will wonder about these people and what became of them.

3 comments:

  1. I prefer East by Edith Pattou, another retelling of this fairy tale, over this retelling. Personal Preference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, I will have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED East- so I'm interested to read this one. Thanks for keeping my "to read" list growing!

    ReplyDelete