July 19, 2009

Harry Potter and the Dealthy Hallows by J. K. Rowling

I know I know, I just reviewed a Harry Potter book, but after reading this one (again) I find I have a few more things to say...

What is it about Harry Potter books that readers of all ages like? I have been pondering this question and here are a few of the thoughts that I have had:

Firstly, the characters really are amazing. They are well rounded characters that are easy to relate to. Because the characters are well rounded it is easy for readers to care about them and want to know what happens to them.
Secondly, there is plot, unique and original plot. (This you do not find in all books...) It is not just a gentle build-up, climax, resolution. The plot is complex and unpredictable. As you read you know that there are several plot possibilities and you want to read to see how it ends.
Third, well the books are magical. Not only are they full of magic, magic lessons, good and evil magic-doers, etc. but they are also full of friendship, love, and all around good old fashioned morals and values. Not to mention the magical sport Quiddich.
Forth, (and last for now) the writing really is all that! Harry Potter books are not on the top of the easy-to-read reading lists. In a literary sense, the writing is really quite well done, and on an upper grade reading level. Though these books are 'hard' to read, they are fun, entertaining, endearing, charming, and totally gripping to read.

In a world that is becoming more and more sedentary, and more willing to watch a TV than to pick up a book, it is amazing to find a book let alone 7 books that will get children, teens, and adults to read. Some say that the books are or have evil or that the main character is not a good role model. I say, kids are not reading these books to have Harry as a role model. Harry thinks and acts like any normal kid. Mistakes and poor decisions are part of it. As far as being evil- Our world is full of evil. Our world is also full of good. It is up to each person to find and act upon the good that we find.

In sum, Harry Potter books have something for everyone. They are wells written, well loved, fun to read books. You will get out of them what you put into them (meaning, if you want to enjoy a good book(or two or7), have a few laughs, and embark on an adventure Harry Potter is the book series for you. If you are determined not to like Harry Potter or if you are convinced that they are evil, well don't read Harry Potter, you won't enjoy it.)

2 comments: