August 26, 2009

Vienna Prelude by Bodie Thoene

You know what I've realized through this blog? I'm Really Bad at writing book reviews. I guess I could make an effort to do it better, but I've decided not to, because I've decided that I'm rather good at writing rather bad book reviews and I might as well keep at it, for my own entertainment if nobody else's.

Reviewed by Sarah
Start Date: 24th, I believe
Finish Date: 26th
Star Rating: Lets say eight. Yes, eight. ********
"Movie" Rating: Well, its WWII. So if it isn't PG-13 yet its going to be.

So I'd read this before a couple years ago and then Shanelle never brought me the next books in the series so I never continued with the series and so I decided to start back at the beginning because I couldn't quite remember everything anyway so I read this, the first book, again, and I'm really good at run-on sentences, except actually I'm not, but thats ok.

I'm reading Historical Fiction! That means its based on real History! Which means I'm actually learning something! And I like exclamation points!

Murphy and Elisa are good at Relationship Drama. (Elisa in particular.) Which is frustrating in a rather entertaining way. I will admit that I am one of those who is rather annoyed by the Gorgeous Protagonist recieving Multiple Proposals and such (*cough*AnneShirley*cough*) but I guess it wasn't so bad here. And she does seem to dissolve into tears rather often, but I guess she does have good cause. And Murphy is shallow, but... in a rather endearing way. Which isn't to say he isn't annoying at the same time.

Of course, given my Most Recent Obsession (Um, yeah. Feel free to just skip this next paragraph) of course I had to wonder what Lord Peter was doing at this same time. Turns out this book takes place just a year or two after Gaudy Night was published, and the year of the publication of Busman's Honeymoon. (Well, ish. It happens over a couple years. But whatever.) So it seems that Lord Peter's business abroad ("professional funny man") took place just before or perhaps during this book.


*SPOILERS*

Ok, so, how long is it gonna take before Elisa and Murphy are gonna be like, "Um, lets NOT get divorced..." given Shanelles Warnings and what I've seen of Murphy and Elisa's Relationship Skillz (with one another specifically) so far, its gonna take awhile. And alot of misguided assumptions and confusion. Meh.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!
    I love Bodie Thoene. She's a very talented writer. Not like Diana Wynne Jones or Markus Zusak, but you know...very good. And I loved these books. I'm glad you like them, too!
    Like I told you: who says Murphy and Elisa ever stop being dumb?
    :-D

    ReplyDelete