August 6, 2009

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Reviewed by Sarah
here on librivox
Start Date: Um, last Thursday or Friday...
Finish Date: I'd listened to all except the last 30 or so minutes yesterday and I finished it this afternoon. Well, not quite all. I skipped one, or maybe it was two, of the "adventures" because I didn't like the reading.
Star Rating: um, lets say... seven. Yes, seven. *******
"Movie" Rating: PG

I did enjoy these, but I didn't love them. I will say, I think I prefer Lord Peter to Sherlock Holmes.

These stories aren't very re-readable. Years ago I read a collection of the best of Sherlock Holmes (I think that was what it was, at least) and a few of these mysteries here were in that collection. Those ones were pretty boring to listen to, since as soon as the case started I would remember how it all ended up before it was half over. I will say, they are rather interesting the first time around, even if all the people bringing cases have the exact same way of telling Exactly How It Happened, with All the Details, and they always Happen to Mention some Trifling Fact which ends up being Important. *shrug*

The recordings of each mystery are all about 40 minutes to an hour. And this is about how they all play out: 20-30 minutes Present the Mystery. Sherlock says, "Elementary, my dear Watson," or some variation thereof. Last 20-30 minutes, Sherlock shows how he Logically Read the Facts, and the only way to read them is Thus. Sherlock has been egotistical throughout, and you don't wonder that Watson is his Only Friend. Mystery solved. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment