August 18, 2009

Even more Dorothy Sayers. Who would have guessed?

The Nine Tailors
Reviewed by Sarah

Start Date: Um, day before yesterday I think
Finsih Date: Yesterday
Star Rating: lets say seven. *******
"Movie" rating: um, PG

Well, here was another mystery starring Lord Peter. I did enjoy it, but in many ways it was just More Of The Same. But considring that I'm enjoying The Same, that really isn't all that bad, considering.

I can understand why Sayers would prefer this to Murder Must Advertise. I must say that I persist in loving MMA despite certain frustrations in plot and character (a la Gary Stu)--so Lord Peter is a natural detective AND copy-writer--but really, I still prefer MMA. Nine Tailors is better for Mystery Readers, which I am not really. I mean, I enjoy the mystery, but that isn't the main reason I read it. As I believe I've said, I read for Lord Peter Being Entertaining While Investigating Crime (To Say Nothing of the Romance). And it let me Feel Smart because, as the mystery was Less Complicated in MMA than I think in any of the others, I could Feel Smart for having Partially Solved it.


Gaudy Night
Reviewed by Sarah

Start Date: Last Night
Finish Date: Tonight
Star Rating: I both loved and hated this book. Shall we give it an... eight? Yes, that seems like a good compromise. ********
Movie Rating: eerm, PG.

"Placetne, magistra?" "Placet"

LORD PETER, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING OF, RUNNING OFF TO ROME FOR THREE HUNDRED PAGES???? HARRIET-SANS-PETER ISN'T HALF AS ENTERTAINING AS HARRIET WITH PETER.

Aaarh.

Ok, just had to get that out there.

Well, I will say this book kept me turning pages. Not so much because I was Extremely Curious about the Big Mystery--I was curious, but what kept me turning pages was the HOPE that LORD PETER WOULD SHOW UP ON THE NEXT ONE. He took his time, I WILL say. Aaaargh.

Of course, being Preoccupied with the Absense of Lord Peter, I didn't really turn my brain on the Problem At Hand, my brain being wholly occupied, as I said, with Waiting for Lord Peter to Turn Up. And, I will say AGAIN, he certainly TOOK HIS TIME. Which I don't think particularly gentlemanly of him.

But once he showed up it was awesome. Though I didn't have much patience for Lord Peter Explaining his Deductions. I was too anxious to get to What Would Come after.



Alright, I think thats enough Random Capitalization for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment