August 24, 2009

The Game by Diana Wynne Jones

Reviewed by Sarah
Start Date: Aug 21st
Finish Date: Aug 23rd
Star Rating: I'll say... eight.
Movie Rating: PG

Author name on front cover? Diana Wynne Jones. And thats good enough in itself. But what about the authors on the back cover? Neil Gaiman (Graveyard Book, Stardust) Robin Mckinley (the Blue Sword, Dragonhaven) Megan Whalen Turner (The King of Attolia). I mean, seriously, how could I NOT need this book?

Well, I did resist getting it for awhile, but when I HAD to buy something with a check in order to get cash back to ride on the bus on Friday, I didn't have time to go hunting around for a cheap something-or-other I might not want.

Was it worth it? Well... yes. Yes, I think it was. The best and only way I can think of to describe the prose is 'DWJ ish', which doesn't really say much to anyone who hasn't read her, which I can't really do much about except say GO READ SOME DWJ NOW ITS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. Had I not seen the name on the cover, I think I could have guessed rather easily that it was a DWJ, it had that feel.

I really liked the family interactions and the characterizations in this book. Very real, believeable, ... DWJish.

The premise was extremely interesting and fun and unique... and DWJish. I'm glad I had warning that the end was rather anti-climactic, because it was, and since I knew that was how it was going to be, I wasn't greatly disappointed. I was a bit, though, because it certainly had the potential to have an Awesome Ending, it just didn't quite.


Once more, because its fun to say.... DWJish.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! I kind of wish someone had told me it was anticlimactic, but I was on a DJW high (maybe I still am...) so it still worked for me.

    ReplyDelete