August 20, 2009

Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy Sayers

Reviewed by Sarah
Start Date: the 19th, I think
Finish Date: Today. Which is the twentieth.
Star Rating: eight. ********
Movie Rating: PG-13

"My Lord, there is an individual--"
"Oh, send him away. I can't stand any more individuals."
"My Lord--"
"We're at dinner. Send him away. Tell him to call again later."
There was a noise of swift footsteps on the gravel outside; and at the same moment a stout, elderly Hebrew burst into the room.
"Very thorry to intrude," said this gentleman, in a breathless and hasty manner. "No wish to cause inconvenience. I," he added helpfully, "am Moss & Isaacs--"
"You were wrong, Bunter. Its not an individual--it's a company."
"--and here in my hand I have--"
"Bunter, take the company's hat."
"Very thorry," said the company.



And they lived happily ever after. The end.

I feel this was a very satisfactory end to the series. Appropriately subtitled "A love story with detective interruptions"--because, you know, this IS Lord Peter we're talking about. Could he possibly have a peaceful and investigation-less honeymoon? Of course not. And just at the time when he ISN'T in the mood to be intruding on investigations where he isn't wanted, a case lands at his feet. Of course.

This book fleshed out Peters character in a very no-loose-ends kind of way. Things are revealed about his past and of course we are made reasonably certain of his future so that, once you've read all the books and finally this one, he is Very Real. I can see an argument for his being called a Gart Stu, but while he is Exeedingly Entertaining, I don't think him faultless.

This conclusion to Harriet and Peters love story was Quite Satisfactory. The "Detective Interruptions" made for plenty of breaks between ardently gazing into one anothers eyes and all that lovey-dovey stuff, so that there was rather less eye-rolling than there could potentially have been. But really, what is a love story without some eye-roll-worthy bits here and there? Well, nothing at all, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment