Reviewed by Sarah
Avaliable here
Start Date: June 2
Finish Date: June 6
Star rating: 7 stars *******
"Movie" Rating: PG, mostly for mild language (Lud sir, but it is a demmed nuisance, what?)
Chauvelin waited, motionless and silent, the dark lantern still held in his shaking hand, until he was quite sure he was alone. Then only did he unfold the screw of paper.
It contained a few lines scribbled in pencil - just that foolish rhyme which to his fevered nerves was like a strong irritant, a poison which gave him an unendurable sensation of humiliation and impotence:
"We seek him here, we seek him there!
Chauvelin seeks him everywhere!
Is he in heaven? Is he in hell?
That demmed, elusive Pimpernel!"
He crushed the paper in his hand and, with a loud groan of misery, fled over the bridge like one possessed.
Poor, poor Chauvlin.
This was a short story collection. I should say right now that short stories aren't really my thing. I enjoy them, but I prefer novels--longer, more complex plots.
That said, I really enjoyed this short story collection. Its extremely predictable--Sir Percy becomes aware of someone in trouble with the French Revolutionary Government, he has a plan to save them, Chauvlin tries to catch Percy but Percy and those he's helping get away in the end. Hooray! (Oops, sorry. Did I spoil it completely? ;-)
Even though the stories were predictable, the specifics weren't. I was always surprised by how Sir Percy managed to get away THIS time.
The first story in the collection, Sir Percy Explains, was probably my favorite. I thought they had him! But no, Sir Percy is too smart for that.
I'm excited to continue with this series.
June 6, 2009
The League of the Scalet Pimpernel, by Baroness Emmuska Orczy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment