May 1, 2009

Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

Brilliant novel length retelling of the classic fairy tale Sleeping Beauty with a slight twist. (Star rating out of 10 is an 8, only because it occasionally has long sections that have nearly nothing to do with the story, though they are very interesting...)
This tale is full of magic, love, and suspense but is not fast moving or 'action packed'. I enjoyed reading it, but I enjoy the writing style of Robin McKinley. If you don't like romance and fantasy then this book is not for you.
I would recommend this book to young teens and pre-teen avid readers, with the warning that this book is long but well written.

2 comments:

  1. I really love the poem in this book.

    Small spider weave on a silver sleeve,
    Oh, weave your grey web nearer.
    from a golden crown let your silk hang down
    for lost, lost, lost is the wearer
    .

    Pretty, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes pretty, though I can't exactly make sense of it...

    ReplyDelete