May 8, 2009

Skybreaker, Kenneth Oppel

Reviewed By Sarah
(book on CD, recorded by Full Cast Audio)
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Finish Date: May 8, 2009
Star Rating: Seven Stars *******
"Movie" Rating: PG-13 again I think, mostly for violence. There is actually less than there is in airborn, I think. Or at least less graphic.

Spoiler-Free Review: if you read and liked Airborn and want more, here's more. Nuff said.


SPOILERS BEGIN HERE. PLEASE DON'T READ ON UNLESS YOU HAVE a) already read the book or b) don't intend to ever read the book or c)want to completely spoil your reading experience.


I enjoyed this one more than Airborn in some ways and less in other ways. Matt really does seem to have a thing for annoying women. Kate and Nadira both annoyed me in rather different ways. Kate was spoiled and self-centered and manipulating and Above Wanting Or Needing Money, Nadira was stubborn and only in it for the money--but she was at least open about it. I actually think Nadira was slightly less annoying to me, but I knew that Matt would still be with Kate in the end. I mean, she was there first. And she does have some redeeming qualities. In many ways Nadira seemed to just be there so Matt would have a distraction to choose between so Kate wouldn't just be the first girl he had a crush on, if that makes sense. There was alot of jealousy passed around, which was I guess realistic and such, but when I didn't particularly like any of the characters but Matt himself I didn't quite see what there was to get jealous over. And it kind of got old after awhile.

I kept wanting them to be back on the Aurora. I liked the Aurora, and the people on it. In many ways I prefered Airborn as far as setting and characters go.

I did quite enjoy the twice-used "Are you lying to me?" "Yes, as best I can" exchange between Kate and Matt. Hee.

I rather like how it all ended up. They didn't get mountains of loot, but they got enough. It was all a bit "pat", if you know what I mean, but I still liked it.

I did like Matt's development as a character. In Airborn his big change was coming to accept that he could control his own happiness, whether in air or on land. (I could have done this better just after reading it. Ah well.) In this one it was... well, I'm having a hard time putting it into words. That money doesn't really matter, except it does actually, but not in the ways that you think ;-). And that getting jealous about (and making jealous) annoying girls is lameness :-P.

Aagh. My head feels weird, so I shall stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment