May 9, 2009

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

Start date: close to April 28th 2009
Finish date: May 10th 2009
Star rating: six stars ******
"Movie" rating: PG

So I've been thinking about reading this book for ages because, well, alot of people like it I guess. So, now I've read it. It was good, but I didn't absolutely love it. Not exactly up my alley. Not much of a plot to speak of, but "stuff that happend this one summer in this one town". Doug Spalding is sorta-kinda-mostly the main character, if this book can be said to have a main character. The beginning of the story is kinda mostly about him and the end is kinda mostly about him and he appears here and there in the middle, along with lots of other people who do lots of other things that may or may not have much to do with anything else in the book. I'm used to everything being planned out and connected. (I mean, King of Attolia. Favorite book. Talk about well plotted...)

I can appreciate the writing, the descriptions, the characters, but none of those can replace a nice, concrete story for me.

I don't really know how I could to a spoilery review for this one. I could say something like, "Hey, the summer begins at the beginning of the book, and then at the end of the book, summer ends. No, really, I'm serious." but really, there aren't any major plot points that I could reveal or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment