Reviewed by Sarah
Start Date: a few days ago
Finish Date: a couple days ago
Star Rating: 7 stars! *******
"Movie" Rating: PG.... maybe PG-13
So I wandered over to Annilyn's room last week because I was bored and wanted her to entertain me. They were halfway through watching a movie. A Russian Movie, called The Turkish Gambit.
So I watched the second half of the movie. And then I watched the first half. And I rather liked it. (Plus, we've agreed that the guy who plays Erast is rather good looking--like a less effeminate Orlando Bloom.)
Anyway. We started looking up stuff about the movie, etc. and found out it was based on the second book of a series that is very popular in Russia. And that the BYU Library, being awesome, had several of the books (both in Russian and translated into English) which we could check out.
So we did.
It took a few chapters to pick up, but once I got into it I began to enjoy it. Many of the scenes/plot devices/etc. seem a bit cliche, overdramatic, unplausible, etc., but I would just say, "Whatever, I am entertained, and that is the point," and then continue reading.
Erast was an interesting character. In the movie he's almost a Gary Stu, but in the books he is much more fleshed out. As well as being intelligent, lucky, and good looking, he is also somewhat vain and sometimes rather stupid. Which I liked.
Annilyn has been reading The Turkish Gambit to me, and I've been enjoying that one as well... but more on that when we get there.
November 4, 2009
The Winter Queen, by Boris Akunin (translated by Andrew Bromfield)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment