Yes, I am alive, and I haven't not been reading. Firstly, I've had alot of homework so reading time has been cut down. Secondly, my headphones (along with my phone) fell off of the face of the earth, so listening to Librivox while working hasn't been happening. Lastly, while I'm very happy to have a computer to use in my apartment, it doesn't help much when the z, x, c, v, m, ,, ., /, and enter keys don't work.
So I'm writing this in a computer lab. :-)
I only read, like two (new) books in the month of January. Well, three if you count a graphic novel, and five if you want to count reading all that is currently avaliable of a couple of webcomics. Yes, comics. Never really looked at them before, because they weren't Distinguished Literature and anyway, they were for boys. Though I guess the novels I read aren't really considered Distinguished Literature, but even YA fantasy novels are more "acceptable" than Comics, generally.
I have seen the light. Comics are awesome.
But I digress.
The Haunting by Margarey Mahy
I've heard from many book friends who like the same books I do that I should try Margaret Mahy. Well, thanks to my generous book-giving friend, I did. I really enjoyed this one--I was reminded repeatedly of Diana Wynne Jones, in prose, characterization, plotting... anyway. A fun one suitable for young readers, but entertaining for older ones as well. :D
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
No, I hadn't read this one before. I would have gotten around to it eventually I'm sure, but I was required to read this one for my Narrative Illustration class--our main project for this semester will be illustrating it. I'm actually really, really excited about this project, because I really enjoyed this book. Whoever said that the author was on drugs when it was written was making things up, because nobody could come up with the fun, clever, intelligent things in this book if their mind wasn't functioning correctly. Just because it's unique, imaginative, and very different doesn't mean that the creator was not all there.
*steps off soapbox*
But really, It is a "classic", and a very fun and entertaining one. I recommend it highly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, reading goes on forever.
ReplyDelete