October 8, 2009

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

Reviewed by Sarah
Start Date: October 6th, I think
Finish Date: October 7th. I was sick and didn't want to do homework, so I read all day. Yay.
Star Rating: Seven stars! *******
"Movie" rating: PG

I had left my hotel that morning in considerable irritation of spirits. My plans had gone awry. I am not accustomed to having my plans go awry.

So when I went to my book friends for sympathy over the fact that I had finished ALL of Lord Peter (*whimper*) I got, not only sympathy, but also (of course) book recommendations. It was suggested that I try the Amelia Peabody mysteries.

I do enjoy Amelia as a character, but--especially after Lord Peter--she seems to be more of a caricature, with less going on underneath. But she was definitely a very entertaining caricature, and I did enjoy her narration. It was fun to see places where it seemed to me that she wasn't fully admitting to what she actually felt, etc.

They mystery (this also coming right after reading Lord Peter) was rather easy to solve, I thought--by a third of the way through the book I had guessed all the major who was doing what and why, though of course it wasn't until the end that I got all the less important, smaller details. I was somewhat frustrated with the difficulty of some of the Lord Peter mysteries, but with this to compare to, I must say that really, I prefer the ones that you can't quite solve.

Thanks to my extremely generous book-giving friend, I have two other Amelia Peabody (Emerson) mysteries to read, and I fully anticipate enjoying them. Except perhaps not as much as I would if I weren't missing Lord Peter at the same time :-}

No comments:

Post a Comment