September 23, 2009

Lord Peter (short story collection) by Dorothy Sayers

Reviewed by Sarah
Start Date: Um, like last week?
Finish Date: yesterday, today, somewhere thereabouts--depends on if you count the afterword and such.
Star Rating: 8 stars? 9 stars? I loved it muchly, some stories more than others. Hard to say.
"Movie" Rating: PG

"Oh, Uncle Peter! This is a real adventure!"
"All right," said Wimsey. "Fifteen men on the dead man's chest, and all that! Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of Johnny Walker! Pirate expedition fitted out in dead of night to seek hidden treasure and explore the Fortunate Isles! Come on, crew!"



This was the end of Lord Peter. I have now read all the novels and short stories that Dorothy Sayers has written. This is very sad. No more new Lord Peter! I'm rather stuck on this mournful fact, and it's hard to actually review this story collection.

As in all such collections, some of the stories stood out as being far and away better (read:made Sarah laugh more) than others. I especially liked the last two, taking place after Busman's honeymoon, giving a glimpse of Peter and Harriet AFTER the honeymoon--because thats part of Happliy Ever After too ;-). I also especially liked the one where Peter is taking care of his Nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment