Reviewed by Sarah
librivox recording here
Start Date: Sept 23
Finish Date: Sept 28
Star Rating: seven stars *******
"Movie" Rating: PG
I don't think I'd read this before, but then again, I could be wrong. I might have read it way back in elementary school and just forgotten all of it... but somehow I don't think so. Unlike most of the other Sherlock Holmes stories I've listened to lately, I don't think I had read this one before.
The reading was kind of interesting--Sherlock Holmes, read with a bit of a Southern Drawl. It was odd, and maybe even a bit jarring at first, but once I got used to it it was fine, and oddly charming in its way.
It reminded me of Clouds of Witness in a few ways, but since this one came first I guess its CoW that should remind one of HotB... *shrug*. I guess I just still have Lord Peter On The Brain.
There is a reason that Sherlock Holmes is such a classic, enduring character. I may not always like him, but really, he is a very well rounded character, despite his amazing intellect (Which is why I don't always like him, and yet I do like him. Pretend that makes sense.) He is egotistical, a drug addict, and he likes to watch people realize how amazingly intelligent he is (but really, who wouldn't?), and there is a reason that Watson is his only real friend--Watson, who hasn't got a bad mind himself yet is fully prepared to worship his friend Holmes and tell everyone else why they should as well.
September 28, 2009
the Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment