June 18, 2010

Thrones, Dominations by Dorothy Sayers and Jill Paton Walsh

Star Rating: 5 stars
"Movie" rating: PG, maybe PG-13

Obviously its been months since I read most of the Lord Peter novels all together--not quite in a row, but all during the end of last summer/beginning of fall. (Just scroll down the tags and click on "Lord Peter Wimsey" to see 'em all). I put off and put off reading the last couple, for the simple reason that Dorothy Sayers hadn't written them. Can someone *not* Dorothy Sayers write Lord Peter right?

Yes. Sort of.

I did enjoy this book, after I got over the first hundred pages of Marital Bliss--marital bliss being nice and all, but not entertaining enough over 100 pages. Lord Peter and Harriet WERE more or less themselves, and them, which is to say with each other, for which I thank Jill muchly. The book read fairly well as part of the series, though there were a couple spots where the wording felt quite un-Sayers-ish to me--but then, maybe that is just me.

The mystery, in my opinion, was a bit easier to figure out and less believable than Sayer's...but again, maybe its just me. My top suspect from the first ended up being the murderer, and I figured out a couple small things before Lord Peter did. Which made me feel smart, and I do like to feel smart.

All in all, not bad. But also not Sayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment